Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Top 13 movies for the Hallowe'en season.

Here is a simple list; just a list of movies I feel perfectly compliment the feel/mood of the Hallowe'en season. Every year, I watch these at least once between October 1st and October 31st.

These are in no particular order, really.

Here goes.

1. The Halloween Tree

A forgotten gem, and quite educational. I used to watch this four or five times every year when I was a kid.

2. Spider Baby

Look a few posts down.

3. Halloween & Halloween II

Self-explanatory.

4. Ernest Scared Stupid

Another one that holds a special place in my heart after many, many watches as a kid.

5. Night of the Living Dead

I think it's because it's always been shown 900 times on every station during October since the beginning of time, and thus has been forced into my Hallowe'en season memories.
Not that I'm complaining.

6. The Evil Dead

Again, in the past I've just watched this so much during the season. Plus I've always assumed it took place during the fall since there are leaves everywhere and everyone was dressed in long sleeves/flannel/workshirt/etc.

7. La maschera del demonio (Black Sunday)

"Gothic atmosphere", you know.

8. Sleepy Hollow

For whatever reason, this has given "the razz" by many Burton fans, and even some genre fans.
Well, at any rate, I think it's perfect for the season: jack o' lanterns, autumn foliage, creepy woods, more "Gothic atmosphere" (you know), Christopher Walken with scary sharp teeth, big harvest moon(s), and that guy who played Lydia's father in Beetle Juice.

9. Carnival of Souls

Low budget, black and white, spooky organ soundtrack, and this:















10. Young Frankenstein

If I have to type "Gothic atmosphere" one more time...
Well, also I needed something to lighten up this list.
What's funnier during October than the "Puttin' on the Ritz" bit?



11. À Meia-Noite Levarei Sua Alma (At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul)

Just a fundamentally evil Brazilian guy with a cool hat and gross fingernails walking around looking for a nice lady to assist him in furthering his bloodline.
Ghosts are involved too.
The film has a cool, spooky feel (probably because of all the evil and the ghosts) that makes it perfect watching for the Hallowe'en season.

12. A few various Universal titles

Some titles of note:

13. A few various Hammer titles

Some titles of note:

So there you have it.
I can't promise you that only watching these films will give you a perfect Hallowe'en season, but you'll certainly be well on your way.
Hope you enjoy.

2 comments:

Scott Kirkpatrick said...

thanks for beefing up my Netflix Queue- every time you post something, that sucker gets longer, and longer, and...

Jordan H said...

It's my pleasure!
Thank you for reading these reviews and responding to them.